Sunday, October 5, 2008

October already?

Wow, it's been a busy summer! I went to Girls Camp with my girls in June. We camped for a week on Morrow Mountain, southwest of Raleigh. It was terrific, we had a great time. I followed that by a trip to Utah for a week. Whew! I had a wonderful time and made a lot of terrific memories.
Most of my beautiful garden died. I wasn't there to tend it, and then the heat hit and finished it off. We did get some really sweet, really delicious watermelon. And even a few honeydew! Yum! We got enough tomatoes to do a batch of salsa and a batch of green tomato mincemeat. And enough sugar snap peas to eat and enjoy. But the rest, dang it. There is a whole different skill set to gardening in the Carolinas and I am learning it bit by bit. It's not like in the west where you can plant a ton of stuff and water it regularly and weed it some and just let it grow. Here, if you aren't right on top of it, the weeds and grass take over and it's gone. But we'll get it yet.
Then in August, I had my thyroid gland removed. The doctors were concerned that it was full of cysts and not doing its job right. They found a node of cancer when they removed it. So, imagine you are sitting in an exam room and your doctor says brightly to you, "You had cancer, but now you don't!" Mmm hmm. Wrap your head around that one. It took me the better part of a day. But I am so glad I didn't wait another few years to have that gland removed! I am recovering much more slowly than I'd like, but I am a little better all the time.
I got some good pics this summer, I'll post them soon.

No comments: